I'm pretty happy that something like this exists, and frankly surprised I didn't find out about it earlier.
I've replaced nearly all of my magazine and newspaper consumption with blogs, because blogs:
- are free
- don't create the clutter of old issues
- don't involve the waste of printing and shipping
- are upfront about their viewpoint/bias
- are written by enthusiastic volunteers or entrepreneurs
- don't pester me with misleading renewal ads
So I'm happy to see this compromise of a professionally-written periodical that's still free and supported by ads. This combines several of the "pros" of blogs I listed above, with the "pros" of print magazines. I read somewhere that magazines get nearly all of their revenue from advertising, not sales, so this business model should be sustainable.
Hopefully more magazines like this will crop up, covering a variety of topics. Then I could finally ax my last couple magazine subscriptions.